Block 318
Block318Google.jpg

Block 318 is a residential and business block bounded by Washington (north), Clay (south), Polk (east) and VanNess (west) in Nob Hill. The entire block was completely destroyed by the fires after the San Francisco earthquake, not a single structure survived.

  • Washington
    • 1711 - built 1918
    • 1725 - built 2006, condos
    • 1739 - built 1916
    • 1745 - built 1917
    • 1753 - built 1922
  • Clay
    • 1718
    • 1720 - condos built in 2000
    • Parking Lot -
      • 1722 Clay before 1906 fire (east half of property)
        • Residents: Carl Paul Lenhard Leichter and family (1880-1890)
        • Residents: Victor M. Strett, butcher and cousin Max Staddleman, upholsterer, drowned 1891 (1891)
      • 1724 Clay before 1906 fire (west half of property)
        • Residents: Andrew Geary and family (1880)
    • 1748/1750 - The California Club, built in 1907
  • Polk
    • 1701 (corner of Clay) - built 1907
    • 1715 - built 2000
    • 1723 - built in 1913, single story
    • 1729 - built in 1907, three story apartments with shops on first floor
    • 1741 - built in 1910, three story apartments with shops on first floor
  • Van Ness
    • 1800 - built 1962 - In 1900 this was the temporary location of St. Luke's Church while the primary church was in major renovations across the street. This building was scheduled to be torn down and, at the very least, burnt down along with the rest of the block in 1906.
    • 1840 - built 1909, four story apartments with shops on first floor
    • 1860 - built 1975 - gas station
Block318.jpg
Block318Google.jpg

Block 318 in the 1899/1900 Sanborn Insurance Map. Van Ness to the west and Clay to the south.